Dearest Friends of TSAS,
It’s been a little difficult these last couple weeks as we’ve wrestled with some big decisions and heartbreaking realities in the wake of Hurricane Sandy. We’ve been trying to keep our Kickstarter campaign alive so as not to let down any of the amazing people involved in creating or backing it, but the truth is we shouldn’t be trying to save ourselves right now when so many others need real saving.
Alas, it’s not our time down here, Goonies. It’s THEIR time out there in Chelsea, The Rockaways, Red Hook, Gowanus and beyond. So many of our friends (your friends, too), the very same ones who’ve shown our project SO much support, are STILL without power and heat, struggling just so stay warm and recover at least some of their destroyed work and living spaces. At this time, THEY need OUR help.
We’ve hereby suspended our Kickstarter campaign. As we know many of you have been looking forward to new art for your walls and dinner with new friends, we remain committed to fulfilling rewards. More information on how to make your pledge count can found here on our site.
Pledge A Sketch NYC has been rescheduled for Sunday, December 16, 2012. Pledge A Sketch Amsterdam will be taking place as planned on November 10th and 11th with 10% of all money raised going directly to the Mayor’s Fund to Advance Hurricane Relief. We love that our Dutch friends care equally about our New York friends!
- Klaus Biesenbach will lead a team of volunteers to the Rockaways on Saturday, November 10th.Â A bus departs from MoMAâ€™s education center (4 West 54th Street in Midtown Manhattan) at 10am sharp. Confirm your spot by mailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Eyebeam is a non-profit art and technology center in Chelsea that’s in desperate need of qualified people to help with the recovery of their installations and archives.
- Occupy Sandy is helping to distribute resources AND volunteers. Find the opportunity that best suits you.
- The Red Hook Initiative is coordinating volunteers AND donations.
- After recovering from their own Sandy devastation, Tiny’s Giant Sandwich Shop is spearheading a Lower East Side community effort out in the Rockaways.
This is the time to donate blankets, shoes, socks and warm clothing. We’ve identified two funds in particular that we believe are quickly and efficiently providing relief to those in need. They are both accepting cash AND in-kind donations.
Also, The New York Blood Center is still facing dire shortages. Give blood AND platelets. Please.
Thanks for continuing to support us AND our New York arts community. This community will rise again. Goonies never say die.